Friday, May 21, 2010

Where Does Your Drinking Water Come From?




This morning, when I got up out of my cozy pillow top bed, I walked across my carpeted flooring to the bathroom. Once in the bathroom, I turned the knobs on the shower until I felt the water get warm (bordering on hot). I stepped into the warm shower and felt the clean water run through my hair and down my back. I instantly felt cleaner. I, then, reached for my good smelling body wash from Bath and Body Works and lathered up. In a matter of minutes, I had turned myself into what smelled like a coconut! It is truly amazing how that simple act can lift my spirits and invigorate me!


Then, I sat down at my computer to decide what kind of post I would share with you all. There are so many great things that Child Hope Zambia has already done, and little by little, I will be sharing it with you. What to share grabbed me when I looked at the picture of the children carrying the jugs of water.


First, I will share the statistics with you. Did you know that in Zambia 20% of the deaths of the children under five are due to diarrhea!? It is hard to believe that they could die of something so preventable, but it is a reality in the poor parts of Zambia. The people in the communities get diarrhea, dysentery, and cholera all from drinking water!


It brings me back to the beginning of this post when I told you about my clean shower experience. I would like you to now picture something different. Instead of living here in the USA, I live in the southern province of Zambia. I get up in the morning and fold up the feed sack that I slept on (on the dirt floor). Then, I walk to the creek to bathe. The creek is so dirty, you can not see what is in the water, but it is my only option. So, I "clean" myself in the creek. Then, while there, grab a bucket of the water to take home for consumption.


It is no wonder that people wind up with these intestinal problems when you think of it! The water they are drinking is the same water that they clean themselves in. Children may even use the restroom in the water. Anyone who is sick is now passing on the sickness to whomever decides to drink the water. Even if they boil the water, can you imagine drinking the water? I wouldn't be able to get it down my throat!


Now, this is what CHZ has done. If you look up at the picture above, you will see something that looks like a tank. This is a borehole. A hole was dug deep into the ground until fresh water was found. Then, the water is pumped out of the well whenever it is needed. There is enough water available in each borehole to provide water for the surrounding community. All CLEAN water! This is saving children's lives every day! The clean water is used to drink, cook with, bathe in, and clean dishes and clothes. The clean water can be heated, and they can get a nice warm clean bath- I can't even imagine how this must feel for them after years of using the other water!


As supporters of Child Hope Zambia, you are supporting great changes like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment