Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mutale Family Introduction


A post from Nicole N: I thought that I would share some things from Josephine Mutale's letter.  She is a bright and sweet young lady. I want to preface this letter by saying that I asked her to list 3 things that she really wanted or she really needed. I told her that I could not promise her that I could get them for her, but I would rather try to get her something that she needs or wants rather than just get stuff.. so her request is a specific response to my letter. This child has never asked me for anything. She has been very sweet and her letters are exceptional.. She may not have had a template to use to write, but I got a great letter. She tore a piece of paper from one of her notebooks.
It used to bother me that all of the sponsored children still called me "Sponsor", until a sponsor that sponsors a lot of kids and travels to see them regularly addressed this issue.  When someone stated that they had concerns about this, the other sponsor cleared this up by saying that the kids equate "sponsor" as a name of honor and distinction.. that it is a wonderful thing.. not an insult (not because they can not remember your name).. so keep that in mind as you read the letter.

"Dear Sponsor,

Greetings from all of us in the family. I was so happy when I received the letters you sent to me. We are all fine and in good health. I hope that you are fine together with Sarah.

In my area, most people are peasant farmers, they grow crops such as ground nuts, cassava, sorghum, maize. All these crops have been harvested. Sugar cane is grown in large scale by the Zambia Sugar Company along the Kafue River.  Maize is the staple food in my country.

I am very happy that you are concerned with my school ing.  I am in a primary school located far away from town and on a normal school day we start by sweeping the classroom and then the school surroundings. We go in our various classes after a Bible sharing at 0730 hrs.

I walk a distance of 3KM to get to school. We are many in my village who go to the same school.  On the way, we see fields, some goats, as well as fishermen.

In my school we learn the following subjects: maths, English, science, music, social studies, literacy, and religious studies. After class we do have sports and homework. Sometimes we are given story books to read at home, but there are not enough for every child in class" 

I would really love to have a bicycle and other school logistics(?)to help me in my school work. A ball would also be a good gift as we have started playing netball.

In my family we are five: my father is David, my mother is Cecilia and I have one elder brother, Mutale #1196 (photo not yet available) and my elder sister is Christine #465 (photo above).
 
Mutale is in form 4 at the boys school and Christine is in form 1 at the girls school May God always bless you. Josephine"

1 comment:

  1. I just realized that this was a dress that I sent to Chim in one of the bunches of clothing. I am so happy to see that Josephine is wearing it. It was virtually new. It never fit Sarah correctly so she only wore it once. It looks beautiful on Josephine and will be well used and well loved.

    ReplyDelete